ABC Stirchley, ABC Cine-Bowl Stirchley, Star Bingo
The Stirchley Pavillion, designed by Mr Harold Scott in his signature art deco style, was opened by Alderman Sir Percival Bower in the winter of 1931. The 1.75 acre site, greater than any other Midlands site at the time, was an ‘imposing building’ with an elegant 134ft frontage on Pershore road.
The cinema, to screen ‘as many British films as possible’ was one of the first to install a Christie organ, costing £5000 and was decked with the very latest sound systems. In 1962 the site was split into a cinema and bowling alley, bearing its new title: the ABC Cine-Bowl. It was a central hub within the Stirchley community. Following the trend in mass closures of cinemas across Birmingham, in 1968 the Pavillion closed its doors. Between 1969 and 1972 the site remained open as a bowling alley and bingo hall until the eventual closure of the alley in 1972.
In its final years the lot stood as Star Bingo until its eventual demolition in 1989, to make way for an upgraded 32-lane Stirchley Superbowl. This was later renamed the Megabowl, and demolished in 2017 to make way for a Lidl supermarket. At present the site stands empty.
Pershore Road, Stirchley, B30 2YB
Click any image to open lightbox